This page has moved to a new address.

Chocolate Pecan Pie - Oh My!

La Petite Maison Verte: Chocolate Pecan Pie - Oh My!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Chocolate Pecan Pie - Oh My!

This one may not be for the Pecan Pie purists out there but let me tell you, it is divine!  Buttery, chocolatey, super-sweet, with a hint of cinnamon and espresso.  There's a lot going on here, but it really works beautifully together.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Rewind to last year when I made this pie for Thanksgiving at my Mom & Dad's house.  I wanted to make pecan pie for Brian (sweet-tooth doesn't begin to describe this guy - for him nothing is ever too sweet!) but I wanted something a little more complex than just pure sugar and corn syrup (blasphemy?!?).  So I looked around and finally found this recipe for Chocolate Pecan Pie that incorporates not only bittersweet chocolate but also flavors of espresso and cinnamon - JACKPOT!  And it's from Dorie Greenspan, an absolute baking GURU, so I knew it would be delicious!

The Pie - circa Thanksgiving 2010

Apparently I got a little fancy with the design last year...

This year, Brian's office decided to have a pre-Thanksgiving potluck and my sweetie volunteered me to make dessert and specifically requested that I make this pie.   And that's why I don't have any photos of the pie after being sliced.  And that's why there is an empty place in my stomach heart, because I didn't get to eat a slice (alright, that may have been a tad dramatic).....

This Year's Pie
Anyhow, it got rave reviews and the pie dish was licked clean (which is, by the way, a little weird...i mean, who licks somebody else's pie dish clean at a work potluck?!?!!)  And the recipe was requested by Brian's boss so she can make it for her family's Thanksgiving celebration this year!  If you are waiting until the last minute to come up with a delicious, special Thanksgiving dessert I recommend you give this a try!

The only changes I made to the recipe were to increase the cinnamon and decrease the espresso, just to suit my personal preferences, and because I'm a total rebel.  Yeah.



Chocolate Pecan Pie
makes one 9'' pie
adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking:  From My Home to Yours, as found here.

3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground cinamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces or halves (about 6 oz)
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

one 9-inch single pie crust, partially baked (about 6 minutes) and cooled (I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough but you could make your favorite recipe if you're super-motivated)

Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Place the pie plate containing your partially baked, cooled pie crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

In a stand mixer or by hand (in a large bowl), whisk the corn syrup and light brown sugar until smooth.  Whisk in the melted butter, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating until you have a smooth foamy mixture.  Add the espresso powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and give the bowl a good mix.  Rap the bowl against the counter a couple of times to pop any bubbles that might have formed, then stir in the pecans and chocolate.  Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.

Bake the pie for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile, make a foil shield for the crust by cutting a 9 inch circle out of an 11- or 12-inch piece of aluminum foil.

Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.  Place the foil shield on top of the pie, the filling will be exposed, the crust covered by the foil (this prevents the crust from getting too dark brown).  Bake the pie another 15-20 minutes (total baking time 30-35 minutes), or until it has puffed (the middle and edges should be fairly evenly puffed), is beautifully browned and no longer jiggles when tapped.  Transfer the pie plate to a rack, remove the shield and cool to room temperature.

Storing:  Once cooled to room temperature, the pie can be covered and refrigerated for a day or two.  Return pie to room temperature or warm slightly before serving.

This year I was a little lazier with the design and left the pecan halves mostly intact.  Delicious either way!

And, I really doubt I have to mention this but this pie is NOT, I repeat NOT figure-friendly or healthy in any way.  For a slimmed down Thanksgiving recipe try my Mini Pumpkin Pies...or just eat one darn slice of this pie and then go out for a run later.  

What are you Thankful for this year?  

I'm thankful for my family, my health and my ridiculously-patient and adoring husband who just wants me to be happy and supports me 100% in whatever direction that leads me.  Oh yeah, and for 80 degree weather in November.    

What are your favorite Thanksgiving dishes that you absolutely MUST have on the table or you'll just die?  

For me it's all about the sweet potatoes - in any way, shape or form.  And the green vegetables:  roasted brussel sprouts or sauteed green beans.  And of course a nice glass of Pinot Noir.  And pie. 

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At November 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Dee & David said...

We're thankful for the sweetest daughters and sons any parents could ever dream of having in their lives. We are thankful for the depth of fine character in each and every one of you, for your generous spirit,loving nature and compassionate hearts...and if I might add here to two amazing chefs who keep me inspired and hopeful as I try new "adventures" in the kitchen ! Bravo to both of you!

 
At November 25, 2011 at 7:42 PM , Anonymous -Colleen & Ben said...

Wow Jules I LOVE the pics!! The pie looks soooo delish! You will have to make one for Christmas too ;)

 
At November 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM , Anonymous HeidiRob said...

Hahaha. You made me laugh out loud in the LIBRARY!! Holiest of holy quiet spaces! The image of somebody (I'm thinking it was the boss) licking the pie plate was too funny.

Also, this year I needed greens but didn't get them. Sad face because I trusted the caterers to make something tasty and they did not! I guess it was the stuffing with sage sausage that I couldn't get enough of this year.

 
At December 1, 2011 at 6:20 AM , Anonymous Jules said...

Heidi - you REBEL, LOL'ing in the library! I'll bet you are right about the boss....

Colleen - I may just be making one for Christmas but I'll have to figure out an alternative gluten-free pie crust so Rob can have some too!

Mom - I love you :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home