This page has moved to a new address.

Good Morning, Lovebirds

La Petite Maison Verte: Good Morning, Lovebirds

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Good Morning, Lovebirds

I'm not usually one to make a big deal about Valentine's Day.  Sure, I might buy one or two Reece's heart-shaped peanut butter cups (or make my own - recipe coming soon!).  I might even wear pink.  But it pretty much ends there.

Brian and I definitely don't go all out for Valentine's Day.  We don't have dinner reservations tonight - after reading Waiter Rant we both prefer not to eat out on holidays.  He will grill steaks (we rarely eat steak so this is a treat) and I'll make the sides.  It'll be just how we like it - preparing the meal together yet each in our own domain:  he at the grill, me in the kitchen (tiny kitchen + 2 people = not so lovey-lovey).

I don't expect roses.  In fact if given a choice I prefer hyacinth, ranunculus, tulips...just about any early spring flower, to roses.

We don't exchange gifts for Valentine's Day.  Our gifts to each other are the acts of service we do - I made a special dessert for tonight, he made me breakfast this morning.

I've posted high protein pancakes before.  They were awesome.  These are completely different and also awesome.  The first time I made them, I couldn't imagine how egg whites, cottage cheese and oats could turn into fluffy, delicious pancakes but somehow they do.  And all that protein helps you stay full and helps avoid a pancake-coma since it slows down the absorption of the carbs from the oatmeal.

Brian likes big pancakes.  I like little pancakes.  His were about 1 1/2 times the size of mine and he also got three.  I don't think I could have finished a full serving of these pancakes, they were so filling!

Oatmeal High-Protein Pancakes
recipe adapted from The Novice Chef
serves 2

1 cup old-fashioned oats (make sure to use gluten-free, if desired)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup egg whites
2 packets stevia (I used Purevia this time)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
small pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Heat a teaspoon or so of coconut oil (or oil of your choice, alternately use a spritz of non-stick spray) in a skillet or griddle over medium-medium-high heat.

Pour 1/3 cup dollops of batter onto the hot pan and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden and cooked through, flipping once.

Stack cooked pancakes in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while you make the rest of the pancakes.

Top pancakes as desired and serve warm.

Topping ideas:

maple syrup and butter
sugar-free syrup
peanut butter and strawberry preserves
peanut butter and bananas
nutella and sliced strawberries
nutella and bananas
toasted coconut and macadamia nuts/pecans/walnuts
whipped cream
granola
raspberries and blueberries



What are your favorite pancake toppings?  How do you celebrate Valentine's Day?

Photobucket

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At February 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM , Anonymous Miss Smart said...

This is my first Valentine's Day with a "real" (male) Valentine...that wasn't my father. ;) We are going out to dinner, but I do think the more special moments/celebrations are the casual, laid-back, working together to create a meal. Sounds like a lovely plan to me!

And I'm with you on the roses. Give me a tulip any day. :)

 
At February 15, 2012 at 5:29 AM , Anonymous Jules said...

I hope you had a fabulous evening with your Valentine!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous Sara D. said...

As far as the egg whites go, do you know roughly how many that is? or did you use some kind of egg substitute?
Thank you!
I also LOVE tulips, daffodils too!

 
At March 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM , Anonymous Jules said...

It's approximately 8 - 9 large egg whites. I used Horizon Organic 100% egg whites that comes in the carton so I just measured it out. I have never tried it using whole eggs (the white + yolk) but I'm sure you could - in that case, I would probably use 4 whole eggs. Thanks for the good question!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home