This page has moved to a new address.

Prayer After Eating

La Petite Maison Verte: Prayer After Eating

Monday, October 10, 2011

Prayer After Eating


I was particularly struck by this entry from one of my favorite blogs this weekend....

From The Kitchn contributor Dana Velden: Weekend Meditation: What to do After Eating (October 9, 2011):


"See if you can picture (it only takes a second or two) the long ribbon of effort and miracles and sweat and sacrifice and time that flows backwards from your satisfied belly and out your door and into the wild, uncontrollable world. Take a few moments to follow that ribbon and consider all that didn't go wrong in order for you to feel this gentle weight of satisfaction, this fullness, this amazing achievement called dinner."

Prayer After Eating
I have taken in the light
that quickened eye and leaf.
May my brain be bright with praise
of what I eat, in the brief blaze
of motion and of thought.
May I be worthy of my meat
-Wendell Berry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home